Hall County is named for Warren DeWitt Clinton Hall, who was a secretary of war for the Republic of Texas in 1836.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
E – Childress County
W – Briscoe County
Created: August 21, 1876
Memphis 1876 – present
County Courthouse – Memphis
Location: 512 West Main Street / 5th Street
Built: 1922 – 1923
Style: Beaux Arts
Architect: C H Page and Brother of Austin
Contractor: Walker Construction Company
Description: The building faces south and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on the landscaped grounds of the Courthouse Square in the center of Memphis. The south front has a recessed central porch with four Corinthian columns rising to a header at the top of the second story. The recessed entrance on the first story is framed with stone. A projecting cornice runs between the second and third stories. At the roof line is a pediment with frieze. The roof line is flat. In the interior, the courtroom is located on the second story. The building houses the State District Court, Constitutional County Court and County Justice Court. The architect was C H Page and Brother and the contractor was Walker Construction Company.
Note: During construction, the county met in the Hall County National Bank on the northwest side of the Courthouse Square.
See: The architect, C H Page and Brother of Austin designed other courthouses in Anderson County, Fort Bend County, Hays County, Hunt County, Orange County, Travis County, Trinity County and Williamson County.
History: The county was created in 1876 and Memphis was selected as the county seat in 1890 when the county was organized. The first courthouse was frame structure built in 1890. The second courthouse was a brick structure built by John A White in 1891 to 1892. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1922 to 1923.
County Courthouse - Memphis
Picture 1892 County Courthouse
Photos taken 2014