Orange County is named for the orange groves planted by earlier settlers at the mouth of the Sabine River.
Created: January 5, 1852
Orange 1852 – present
County Courthouse – Orange
Location: 123 North 6th Street / Front Street
Built: 1935 – 1937
Architect: C H Page and Brother of Austin
Contractor: Falbo & Falbo Construction Company
Description: The building faces north and is a three story buff colored brick, limestone and marble structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The north front of the rectangular building has a central entrance with dark marble facing rising to the roof line and large glass windows on the second and third stories. The windows are vertical with dark marble dividers. The roof line is flat. The east and west one story wings were added in 1964. The architect was Gale Cook and the contractor was H B Neild & Sons Inc.
See: The architect, C H Page and Brother of Austin designed other courthouses in Anderson County, Fort Bend County, Hall County, Hays County, Hunt County, Travis County, Trinity County and Williamson County.
Note: The first courthouse was on story frame structure built in 1853. The second courthouse was a two story structure designed by James J Digon and constructed by J A Robinson in 1884 at a cost of $4,200. The third courthouse was a three story structure designed by F S Glover & Glenn Allen of Houston and constructed by M A McKnight & F W Robinson in 1898 at a cost of $28,300. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $250,000.
S – Jefferson County
Picture 1899 Courthouse
Photos taken 2011 and 2017