Travis County is named for William Barret Travis, who was a commander and hero of the Alamo.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
S – Hays County
Created: January 25, 1840
Austin 1840 – present
County Courthouse – Austin
Location: 1000 Guadalupe Street / West 11th Street
Built: 1930 – 1931
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Page Brothers
Contractor: H E Wattenger
Description: The building faces east and is a four story white colored limestone structure. The building faces east and was completed in 1931. The building has a protruding center section. The windows are vertical with limestone dividers. The main east entrance is trimmed with limestone. Additions were added in 1959 and 1962.
See: The architect, C H Page and Brother of Austin designed other courthouses in Anderson County, Fort Bend County, Hall County, Hays County, Hunt County, Orange County, Trinity County and Williamson County.
County Justice Complex – Austin
Location: 509 West 11th Street / Nueces Street
Built: 1997 – 2001
Architect: Graeber Simmons & Cowan and Herndon, Stauch & Associates
Contractor: MW Builders of Texas Inc.
Description: The building faces east and is an eleven story white colored limestone, concrete and glass structure. The building is located in the west side of the courthouse with a long canopy extending to the east side entrance. On the west side is an eleven story section with a curved roof on the north side and a curved roof on the south side with glass paneled section between. On the south side is a seven story structure with narrow horizontal windows. And flat roof line. The building is named as the Blackwell-Thurman Justice Complex. On the northeast corner is a four story concrete building constructed in 1972 to 1974 and named as the N L Gault Building. The architect was Barnes, Landes, Goodman and Youngsblood and the contractor was Faulkner Construction Company.
County Administration – Austin
Location: 314 West 11th Street / Guadalupe Street
Style: Art Deco
Description: The building faces south.
See: Located in the county is the Texas Supreme Court.
County Courhouse – Austin
Photos taken 2006 and 2014