Caldwell County is named for Mathew Coldwell, who was a signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence and a soldier during the Texas Revolution.
Created: March 6, 1848
Lockhart 1848 – present
County Courthouse – Lockhart
Location: 110 South Main Street / San Antonio Street
Built: 1893 – 1894
Style: Second Empire
Architect: Henri E M Guindon of Gilies and Guindon
Contractor: Martin, Byrne & Johnston
Description: The building faces north and is a three story Muldoon Blue sandstone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The north front has a recessed arched entrance on the first story with semi-circular window on the second story and balcony on the third story. On either side of the entrance are Square towers with steep roofs rising above the roof line. On each corner of the building is a square tower with mansard roof. The building is trimmed with Pecos red colored sandstone. On the center of the roof is a high square clock tower with clock and steep roof at the top. The building was restored in 1999 to 2000. The architect was Ford, Powell & Carson, Inc., the contractor was American Restoration, Inc. and the project manager was Herndon Stauch & Associates Inc.
Note: Previous courthouses were built in 1848 and 1858
County Justice Center – Lockhart
The County Justice Center is located at 1703 South Colorado Street to the south of the center of the city. The building was a former Wal Mart store. The building was converted for use as a courthouse, The architect was Steinbomer and Associates of Austin and the contractor was Braun & Butler Construction.
Former County Judicial Center – Lockhart
Location: 201 East San Antonio Street / North Commerce Street
Description: The building faces southwest and is a one story concrete structure. The building is located in the center of the city. The southwest entrance has a projecting red colored overhang. Along the south and west sides are vertical pillars. The roof line is flat. The building was a former savings and loan company.
S – Guadalupe County
W – Hays County
Former County Judicial Center
Photos taken 2014 and 2019