Anderson County is named for Kenneth L Anderson, who was the Vice President of the Republic of Texas.
Created: March 24, 1845
Fort Houston 1846 – 1847
Palestine 1847 – present
County Courthouse – Palestine
Location: 500 North Church Street / East Crawford Street
Built: 1913 – 1914
Style: Beaux Arts
Architect: Charles H Page and Brother of Austin
Contractor: R G Bryalson
Description: The building faces west and is a three story dark brown colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The building sits on a gentle sloped hill. The west front has a large portico with three rectangular openings on the first story. Above the entrance, the portico is supported by six high columns rising from the second story to the top of the third story with a pediment above, Across the face of the building are columns rising from the second story to the top of the third story. There is a wide cornice at the roof line with a balustrade above. On the center of the roof is a large silver colored dome with the statue of Justice at the top. The District Court courtroom and County Court courtroom are located on the second story and the small courtroom is located on the third story. The building was restored in 1986.
See: The architect, C H Page and Brother of Austin designed other courthouses in Fort Bend County, Hall County, Hays County, Hunt County, Orange County, Travis County, Trinity County and Williamson County.
Note: The first court was held in a log house at nearby Fort Houston in 1846. The first courthouse was a one story frame structure built in Palestine in 1847. The second courthouse was a brick structure built in 1856. The third courthouse was also a brick structure designed by W C Dodson and Dudley and constructed by George A Wright in 1885 and was destroyed by fire in 1913.
N – Henderson County
E – Cherokee County
S – Houston County
Cornerstone 1885 Courthouse
Photos taken 2010 and 2019