Guadalupe County is named for the Guadalupe River which named for Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe by Alonso de Leon in 1689.
Created: March 30,, 1846
Seguin 1846 – present
County Courthouse – Seguin
Location: 101 East Court Street / South River Street
Built: 1934 – 1935
Style: Art Deco
Architect: L M Wirtz and A W Harris
Contractor: Vincent Faleo & Son
Description: The building faces north and is a three story white colored limestone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The north front has a recessed center section with central entrance on the first story. Above are five large vertical windows.The east and west wings are lower. The roof line is flat. The architect was L M Wirtz and A W Harris and the contractor was Vincent Faleo & Son. The building was renovated in 2016. The architect was Thorn and Graves Architects of San Antonio and the contractor was The Koelher Company of Seguin.
See: The architect, Lewis Milton Wirtz, also designed the courthouse in Burnet County.
Note: Courthouses were built in 1857 and 1858. The third and previous courthouse was designed by Alfred Giles and constructed by Stephen White in 1889. The courthouse was similar to the present courthouse in Wilson County.
County Justice Center – Seguin
Location: 211 West Court Street / South Travis Street
Built: 2008 – 2010
Architect: Thorn and Graves Architects of San Antonio
Contractor: The Koelher Company
Description: The building faces north and is a three story concrete and glass structure. The building is located in the center of the city to the west of the courthouse and has a central glass entrance section on the north front The windows are square and the roof line is flat. The building is named as the Guadalupe County Justice Center.
Note: The building was the former Economy Furniture Building constructed in the 1970’s and acquired by the County in 1998.
E – Gonzales County
W – Comal County
County Justice Center
Photos taken 2014 and 2017