McIntosh County is named for Edward H McIntosh ( 1822-1901 ) of Plankinton, South Dakota, a member of the territorial Council.
Created: March 9, 1883
Ashley 1888 – present
County Courthouse – Ashley
Location: 112 1st Street Northeast / 1st Avenue Northeast
Built: 1920 – 1921
Style: Beaux Arts
Architect: Buechiner & Orth of St. Paul, Minnesota
Contractor: Carl Bartleson & Ness
Description: The building faces south and is a two story light brown colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city and is a classic rectangle with white colored octagonal dome on the center of the roof. The basement is dark brown colored brick. The south front facade pavilion has single Doric columns flanked by brick pilasters, and an entrance surround with loaf pattern and false keystone enrichment. The stubby dome tower has three rectangular windows on each of its eight faces, and is surmounted with a rib-vaulted dome with bull’s-eye windows on the cardinal directions and a sphere finial. In the interior is a rotunda under the dome, richly decorated rotunda with skylight, terrazzo floors, marble wainscoting on first floor halls and stairways, a courtroom with coffered ceiling, oak furnishings, and a mural behind the judge’s station.
See: The architect Buechiner & Orth of St. Paul, Minnesota designed many courthouses.
Note: The previous courthouse was built in 1895.
N – Logan County
E – Dickey County
W – Emmons County
Photos taken 2007 and 2016