Avery County is named for Waightstill Avery, who was a soldier in the American Revolutionary War and an Attorney General of North Carolina.
Created: February 23, 1911
Newland 1911 – present
County Courthouse – Newland
Location: 200 Montezuma Street / Park Street
Built: 1912 – 1913
Style: Beaux Arts and Classical Revival
Architect: Wheeler and Runge of Charlotte
Contractor: R C Campbell
Description: The building faces north and is a three story white colored brick and concrete structure. The north front has a portico with four columns rising to a pediment. The third story is recessed with a section above having three round windows and a curved roof. An addition was added on the east side.
Photos taken 2012