Watauga County

US States / N / North Carolina / Watauga County
Watauga

Watauga County is named for the Watauga River, which name came from the Native American word meaning “beautiful water”.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Johnson County, Tennessee and Ashe County 

E – Ashe County and Wilkes County

S – Caldwell County

W – Avery County and  Johnson County, Tennessee

 

Created:  1849                                        Map of North Carolina highlighting Watauga County

County Seat: 

Boone  1849 – present

 

County Courthouse – Boone

 

Location:  842 West King Street / Water Street

Built:  1967 – 1968

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Coffey & Annas

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a three story buff colored stone and concrete structure. The building is located in the center of Boone. The south front has a central recessed entrance on the first story. There are four sets of three windows. The roof line is flat. The building houses the County Superior Court and County District Court of the 24th Judicial District. The old jail building that was incorporated into the 1968 courthouse was completed in 1927 as an attachment to the 1905 courthouse that stood on the present site. The front addition was completed in 1982. The architect was Clemmer, Bush, Sills and Abernethy of Hickory. The current courthouse complex also includes a Works Projects Administration funded building as part of its annex. The WPA building was completed in 1939 and housed the Watauga County Library from 1946 through 1997. The building was renovated in 2005 to 2006. The architect was Hemphill Associates, Inc. of Charlotte and the contractor was Browning Engineers of Charlotte.

 

See:  The 24th Judicial District includes Avery CountyMadison County, Mitchell County and Yancey County. 

 

History:  The county was created in 1849 and Boone was selected as the county seat. The first court met at the home of George Council. The first courthouse was a brick structure erected in 1850 and was burned in 1873. The second courthouse was a rectangular brick structure built in 1874 to 1875 at the northwest corner of King and Water Streets. The third courthouse was designed by Wheeler & Runge and constructed by L W Cooper in 1904. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 1967 to 1968.

 

County Administration Building – Boone

 

0368nc12

 

Location:  814 West King Street / Noth Water Street

Built:  1949

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story white colored stucco and concrete structure. The building is located in the center of Boone to the east of the courthouse. The south front has a one story portico with four columns rising to a pediment. The recessed entrance is arched and the roof is hipped. The building was originally the W R Winkler Warehouse and Masonic Hall, and then served as the Heilig-Meyers Furniture Company warehouse for many years. The building was renovated in 2006 for use by the county.

 

 

 

0366nc12

County Courthouse – Boone

 

 

0364nc12

 

 

0365nc12

 

 

0369nc12

County Administration Building – Boone

 

 

0370nc12

Photos taken 2012