McDowell County is named for Joseph McDowell, who was a soldier in the American Revolutionary War and who took part in the Battle of Kings Mountain.
Created: December 19, 1842
Marion 1842 – present
County Courthouse – Marion
Location: 495 Main Street / Court Street
Built: 1921 – 1923
Architect: Eric Gulick Stillwell
Contractor: Southern Ferro Concrete Company
Description: The building faces southwest and is a three story yellow-brown colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The southwest front has horizontal brickwork on the first story with a central entrance. On the second and third stories are five large vertical windows. The roof line is flat.
Note: The previous courthouse was constructed in 1844 and remodeled in 1902 by B F Smith Fireproof Construction Company. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $210,000.
E – Burke County
Photos taken 2012