Stokes County is named for John Stokes, who was a soldier in the American Revolutionary War and who was seriously wounded at the Waxhaw massacre.
Germantown 1790 – 1849
Forsyth 1849 – 1851
Danbury 1851 – present
Old County Courthouse – Danbury
Location: 500 North Main Street / Courthouse Circle
Built: 1904 – 1905
Style: Classical Revival and Beaux Arts
Architect: Wheeler & Runge of Charlotte
Contractor: L W Cooper of Charlotte
Description: The building faces south and is a three story red colored brick structure. The south front has a central portico with four tall white colored columns rising to a pediment at the third story. The center section is recessed with projecting sections on the east and west sides. Along the east and west sides are one story wings. On the center of the roof is a high section with three pothole windows and mansard roof.
See: The contractor, L W Cooper of Charlotte, constructed the courthouse in Ashe County.
County Courthouse – Danbury
Location: 1012 North Main Street / Crestview Drive
Built: 1981 – 1982
Architect: Fred W Butner Jr. Associates
Contractor: J H Allen Incorporated
Description: The building faces south and is a two story white colored concrete and glass structure. The south front has a round tower at the southwest corner. The windows are vertical. The main south entrance is on the second story. The roof line is flat. The building is named as the Stokes County Government Center. To the east is the County Administration Building. The architect was Ramsay, Burgin, Smith Architects Inc. and the contractor was R L Casey Inc. On the west side is the one story Stokes County Sociall Services Building constructed in 1992. The architect was Fred W Butner Jr. Associates and the contractor was Chris D Hilton Construction Company Inc.
S – Forsyth County
W – Surry County
Old County Courthouse
Photos taken 2012 and 2013