Carter County is named for Landon Carter, who was Speaker of the State of Franklin senate.
Created: April 9, 1796
Elizabethton 1796 – present
County Courthouse – Elizabethton
Location: 801 East Elk Avenue / Main Street
Built: 1850 – 1852
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Joseph S Burts
Contractor: John Lyle and William M. Fleming
Description: The building faces south and is a three story red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds on the north side of the center of the city. The south front has a large portico with four white colored columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The roof line is flat. The architect and the contractor was . The building was remodeled in 1933 after damage by fire. The architect was D R Beeson and the contractor was J C Crumley. A red colored brick addition was constructed on the north side in 1986 to 1987. The architect was Beeson, Lusk & Street of Johnson City and the contractor was Burwil Construction Company, Inc. On the south side of the building is the old Sherriff’s Office.
County Jail – Elizabethton
Location: 900 East Elk Avenue / 3rd Street
Description: The building faces west and is a five story red and white colored concrete slab structure. The building is located on the north side of the center of the city to the south of the courthouse. The roof line is flat.
Photos taken 2012