Wilkes County

US States / N / North Carolina / Wilkes County
Wilkes -O

Wilkes County is named for John Wilkes, who was an English radical, journalist and politician.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Ashe CountyAlleghany County and Surry County

E – Surry County and Yadkin County

S – Iredell CountyAlexander County and Caldwell County

W – Caldwell CountyWatauga County and Ashe County

 

Created:  November 15, 1777                Map of North Carolina highlighting Wilkes County

County Seat: 

Wilkesboro  1777 – present

 

Old County Courthouse – Wilkesboro  

 

Location:  NW – East Main Street / North Bridge Street

Built:  1902 – 1903

Style:  Neo-Classical Revival

Architect:  Wheeler & Runge of Charlotte and James M McMichael of Wheeler, McMichael and Company

Contractor:  L W Cooper and Company of Charlotte

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a three story white colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of Wilkesboro. The south font has a portico with four tall white colored columns rising to a pediment. The third story is recessed with a smaller section above having three round windows and a curved roof. The building is now the Wilkes County Heritage Museum.

 

See:  The courthouse is very similar in appearance to the old courthouses in Ashe CountyAvery County, Iredell CountyRandolph County and Stokes County.

 

County Courthouse – Wilkesboro  

 

0427nc12

 

Location:  500 Courthouse Drive / South Bridge Street

Built:  2000 – 2001

Style:  Neo-Classical Revival

Architect:  CBSA Architects of Hickory

Contractor:  James R Vannoy and Sons Const. Incof Ashe County

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a two story gray stone, concrete and glass structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds on the south side of the center of Wilkesboro. The west front has a semi-circular section with open square sections. The roof line is flat.

 

History:  The first court met at the home of John Brown in 1778. The court moved to the Mulberry Fields Meeting House and the first courthouse was a log structure built at Mulberry Fields ( Wilkesboro ) in 1779. The second courthouse was built in 1830. The third courthouse was constructed in 1902 to 1903. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 2000 to 2001.

 

 

0415nc12

Old County Courthouse – Wilkesboro

 

 

0416nc12

 

 

0418nc12

 

 

0420nc12

 

 

0419nc12

 

 

0421nc12

 

 

0425nc12

County Courthouse – Wilkesboro

 

 

0428nc12

 

 

0429nc12

 

 

0430nc12

 

 

0431nc12

 

 

0432nc12

 

 

0433nc12

Photos taken 2012