Caldwell County is named for Joseph Caldwell, who was the first president of the University of North Carolina.
Created: January 11, 1841
Lenoir 1841 – present
County Courthouse – Lenoir
Location: 216 Main Street SW / Ashe Avenue NW
Built: 1909 – 1910
Style: Classical Revival and Art Deco
Architect: Wheeler & Runge of Charlotte
Contractor: Hartley & Smith
Description: The building faces southwest and is a two story buff colored brick structure. The front of the building projects and has a central entrance. A wide belt runs along the top of the second story windows. The roof line is flat The building was remodeled in 1928 to 1929. The architect was Martin Luther Hampton of Miami, Florida and the contractor was Hartley & Smith. An addition was constructed at the north side in 1990 to make the two buildings appear as one. The northwest entrance has an open portico with glass walls. The architect was Northwest Associates, Architects and Harwood Beebe Company, Inc. and the contractor was Wilkie Construction Company, Inc.
S – Burke County
Photos taken 2012