Burke County is named for Thomas Burke, who was a member of the Continental Congress and governor of North Carolina.
Created: April 7, 1777
Morganton 1777 – present
Old County Courthouse – Morganton
Location: South Green Street / East Union Street
Built: 1834 – 1835
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: James Binnie
Contractor: James Binnie
Description: The building faces southwest and is a two story buff colored brick structure. The building is constructed with locally cut stone. The southwest front has a portico on the second story with four thin columns rising to a pediment. On the center of the roof is a large cupola. The building was remodeled in 1901. The architect was Frank P Milburn. The building now houses a museum.
County Courthouse – Morganton
Location: 1 South Green Street / East Meeting Street
Built: 1975 – 1976
Architect: J T Pegram of Statesville
Contractor: C & L Construction
Description: The building faces southwest and is a one story buff colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The southwest front has a recessed center section with glass wall and projecting central entrance with glass doors. A wide concrete band runs below the flat roof line. The building descends a slope on the northeast side.
See: The architect, J T Pegram of Statesville, also designed the courthouse in Iredell County.
W – McDowell County
Photos taken 2012