Ashe County

US States / N / North Carolina / Ashe County
Ashe -O

Ashe County is named for Samuel Ashe, who was a Revolutionary patriot, superior court judge and governor of North Carolina.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Grayson County, Virginia

E – Alleghany County and Wilkes County

S – Wilkes County and Watauga County

W – Johnson County, Tennessee

 

Created:  November 18, 1799                Map of North Carolina highlighting Ashe County

County Seat: 

Jefferson  1799 – present

 

Old County Courthouse – Jefferson  

 

Location:  301 East Main Street / Ashe Street

Built:  1904 – 1905

Style:  Beaux Arts and Classical Revival

Architect:  Wheeler & Runge of Charlotte

Contractor:  L W Cooper of Charlotte

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscape grounds in the center of Jefferson. The south front has a high portico with four columns rising to a pediment. The third story is recessed and at the top is section with three round windows and a red colored roof. The old courtroom is located on the second story. The building now houses the Ashe County Historical Museum.

 

See:  The courthouse is very similar in appearance to the old courthouses in Avery County, Iredell CountyRandolph CountyStokes County and Wilkes County.

 

See:  The architect,  Wheeler & Runge of Charlotte, designed courthouses in Avery County, Caldwell County, Randolph CountyStokes County and Wilkes County.

 

See:  The contractor, L W Cooper of Charlotte, constructed courthouses in Stokes County and Wilkes County.

 

County Courthouse – Jefferson  

 

0384nc12

 

Location:  150 Government Circle / East Main Street

Built:  1998 – 2000

Style:  Modern Colonial Revival

Architect:  Hayes, Seay, Mattern & Mattern and Bill Mahler

Contractor:  James R Vannoy & Sons Construction.

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds to the southeast of the center of Jefferson. The north front projects from the main building and has a large portico with four columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The green colored roof is sloped.

 

History:  The first courthouse was built in Jefferson in 1800 when Jefferson became the county seat. The second courthouse was a brick structure built in 1833. The courthouse was destroyed by fire and in 1865 the third courthouse was a rebuilding of the destroyed courthouse. The fourth courthouse was constructed in 1904 to 1905 and is still standing. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 1998 to 2000.

 

 

0376nc12

Old County Courthouse – Jefferson

 

 

0378nc12

 

 

0377nc12

 

 

0379nc12

 

 

0380nc12

 

 

0385nc12

County Courthouse – Jefferson

 

 

0386nc12

 

 

0387nc12

 

 

0388nc12

 

 

0389nc12

Photos taken 2012