Saint Louis County is named after the Saint Louis River and the river was probably named by Pierre Gaultier de Varennes in 1731 in honor of the King of France.
Created: February 20, 1855
Duluth 1855 – present
County Courthouse – Duluth
Location: 100 N 5th Avenue West / West First Street
Built: 1909 – 1910
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Daniel H Burnham and J J Wangenstein of Duluth
Contractor: Lanquist and Illsley Company of Chicago, Illinois.
Description: The building faces southeast and is a five story gray colored stone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The ground floor is built of strongly coursed stone with a mezzanine above and Ionic columns rising three stories to a heavy entablature on which is inscribed “The Peoples Laws Define Usage, Ordain Rights and Duties, Secure Public Safety, Defend Liberty, Teach Reverence and Obedience, and Establish Justice”. On the south front is a mall with a fountain and the Soldiers and Sailors Monument. The building forms the central presence in the civic center with the City Hall on the east and the Federal Building on the west.
Other Branch Courthouses
N – Ontario, Canada
Photos taken 2006, 2007 and 2015