County Courthouse – Virginia
Location: 300 South 5th Avenue / 3rd Street South
Built: 1909 – 1910
Style: Beaux Arts
Architect: Bray and Nystrom of Duluth
Contractor: Bailey & Marsh
Description: The building faces west and is a two story structure. On the west front is a classical portico with four sets of ornate double columns that set off the three bay pavilion. The end bays have simple single windows above a high basement story. A balustrade crowns the roofline above the cornice, quoins define the corners, and carved swags and garlands decorate spandrels and window tops. Light standards with white globes guard the west entrance. The supervisor during construction of the building was J H Robinson. An addition was added in 1921. The architect was Croft & Boerner and the contractor was National Construction Company. The building was remodeled in the 1980’s.
See: The Saint Louis County courthouse is located in Duluth.
Photos taken 2007 and 2010