Carlton County is named for Reuben B Carlton, one of the first settlers in the town of Fond du Lac and who was a farmer and blacksmith for the Ojibway.
Created: May 23, 1857
Twin Lakes 1857 – 1870
Thomson 1870 – 1890
Carlton ( Cloquet ) 1890 – present
County Courthouse – Carlton
Location: 301 Walnut Avenue / 3rd Street
Built: 1922 – 1924
Style: Classical Second Renaissance Revival
Architect: Clyde W Kelly
Contractor: Niebuhr Company of Minneapolis
Description: The building faces south and is a three story cream colored brick, concrete and stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. In the center section are four columns rising from the second to the top of the third story. The base of the building is stone. The roof is hipped.
Note: The first courthouse was a frame building in Thomson. In 1890, a courthouse was built in Cloquet which became Carlton. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $301,350.
E – Douglas County, Wisconsin
S – Pine County
W – Aitkin County
Photos taken 2006 and 2007