Lake is derived from “Lake Superior” which borders the county.
Created: March 1, 1856
Beaver Bay 1855 – 1884
Two Harbors 1884 – present
County Courthouse – Two Harbors
Location: 601 Third Avenue / 6th Street
Built: 1905 – 1906
Style: Beaux Arts
Architect: James Allen Macleod
Contractor: Pastoret & Lunz
Description: The building faces east and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city and is square shaped with limestone foundation and brick and stone. The low, semi-circular dome has a metallic, fish-scale pattern. The building has brick quoins, stone window surrounds, and a projecting cornice with modillions placed above a wide frieze. A decorative parapet with a bank of concentric squares that simulates a Greek fret is still evident above the cornice. There are two pairs of two story columns on the south front. In the interior is the mural “Law and Justice” by Axel Edward Soderberg and other painting by Odin J Oyen of La Crosse, Wisconsin. The dome was enclosed in 1945. On the west side is the new addition. To the south is the County Services Center.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1887. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $80,000.
N – Ontario, Canada
E – Cook County and Lake Superior
S – Lake Superior and Bayfield County, Wisconsin
County Services Center
Photos taken 2007 and 2015