Le Sueur County

US States / M / Minnesota / Le Sueur County
Le Sueur

Le Sueur County is named for Pierre Charles Le Sueur,  a French Canadian, who was a fur trader and explorer and who traveled sections of the Mississippi River in 1683.

 

Created:  March 5, 1853

County Seat:

Le Sueur   1853 – 1875

Le Center  1875 – present

 

County Courthouse – Le Center

 

Location:  88 South Park Avenue / West Minnesota Street

Built:  1896 – 1897

Style:  Richardsonian Romanesque Revival

Architect:   Louis M Curry of Mayo & Curry of Chicago, Illinois

Contractor:  James Dolan & Company of Waterville

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a three story buff colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of the city  and has buff colored brick walls that are trimmed with both smooth and rusticated Kasota stone. The cornice and its supporting modillions are made of wood. The building is more symmetrical than usual with a central bay flanked by side pavilions. A square tower rises two stories to a truncated hip roof. An octagonal drum with arched windows on top is crowned by a dominal roof and the figure of Justice. Inside, an oak balustrade guards the central opening on the second floor of the rotunda. The tower, originally one story taller, was damaged in a storm and rebuilt in 1920, according to plans of Mankato architect Albert Schippel. The building was renovated and enlarged in 1973 to 1974. The architect was Reike-Carroll-Muller Associates Inc. of Hopkins and the contractor was Kratochvil Construction Company of New Prague. In 1994 to 1995, a three story addition was constructed on the south side. The architect was Boardman Kroos Pfisher Rudin and Associates and the contractor was Lovering Johnson.

 

 

Note:  On the north side of the courthouse is the two story red colored brick Le Sueur County Jail which was designed by the Mankato architect Albert Schippel and constructed in 1914 by J B Nelson Construction Company, also of Mankato.

 

Note:  The first court met in Peck and Bean’s Boarding House in Le Sueur and later above Myrick’s Store and the Smith Building built in 1868. In 1875, court was held in leased building in Le Center. The present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $55,000.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Le Sueur County Courthouse and Jail

 

County Justice Center – Le Center

 

473m19

 

Location:  435 East Derryname Street / County Road 11

Built:  2018 – 2020

Style:  Modern

Architect:   Bruce Schwartzman of BKV Group Inc.

Contractor:  Adolfson & Petersen Construction Inc.

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building faces north and was completed in 2020. The building is still under construction.

 

Note:  The cost was $23,000,000.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Scott County

E – Rice County

S – Waseca County and Blue Earth County

W – Nicolett County and Sibley County

                                

 

 

593f07

County Courthouse

 

 

595f07

 

 

596f07

 

 

598f07

 

 

738m17

 

 

739m17

 

 

740m17

 

 

741m17

 

 

742m17

 

 

743m17

 

 

744m17

 

 

599f07

 

 

600f07

Old County Jail

 

 

470m19

County Justice Center

 

 

472m19

 

 

471m19

 

 

474m19

Photos taken 2007 and 2017