Goodhue County is named for James Madison Goodhue, who was the first printer and editor in Minnesota.
Created: March 5, 1853
Red Wing 1853 – present
County Courthouse – Red Wing
Location: 509 West 5th Street / East Avenue
Built: 1931 – 1932
Architect: Buechner and Orth of Minneapolis and E D Corwin
Contractor: Standard Construction Company
Description: The building faces northwest and is a three story gray colored limestone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The building has flattened fluted pilasters at the central entrance. There is an incised figure of Justice and other decorations across the face of the building. The windows are recessed between vertical dividers. The courtroom is located on the west side of the third story.
See: The architect Buechiner & Orth of St. Paul, Minnesota designed many courthouses.
Note: The first courthouse was the law office of Philander Sanford in 1854. The second courthouse was a brick structure designed by Knight & Thompson and built by David C Hill in 1859 at a cost of $26,666. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1931 at a cost of $275,000.
County Justice Center - Red Wing
Location: 454 West 6th Street / East Avenue
Built: 1998 – 1999
Architect: Wold Architect and Engineers of Saint Paul
Contractor: Bor-San Construction Company of Minneapolis
Description: The building faces southeast and is a three story red colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds on the north side of the courthouse, in the center of the city. The southeast front has a semi-circular portico with semi-circular glass section above. The windows are vertical and narrow. The roof line is flat. The courtrooms are located on the tird story.
W – Rice County
County Justice Center
Photos taken 2008, 2010 and 2019