Carver County

US States / M / Minnesota / Carver County
Carver

Carver County is named after Captain Jonathon Carver who explored the Minnesota area as early as 1766.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Wright County and Hennepin County

E – Hennepin County and Scott County

S – Scott County and Sibley County

W – McLeod County

 

Created:  February 20, 1855                  Map of Minnesota highlighting Carver County

County Seat:

Chaska  1856 – present

 

County Justice Center – Chaska

 

Location:  600 East Fourth Street / Beech Street

Built:  1992 – 1994

Style:  Modern / Corporate International

Architect:  Wold Associates

Contractor:  Construction Analysis & Management Inc.

 

Description:  The building faces north and  is two story concrete and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Chaska. The building forms the southern section of the courthouse complex. The north front has a glass entrance with glass panels above and on the west side. The courtroooms are located on the second story. The west section of the building extends north. The building is connected to the courthouse building on the north side. The roof line is flat.

 

County Courthouse – Chaska

 

649lm07

 

Location: 600 East Fourth Street / Beech Street

Built:  1963 – 1966

Style:  Modern / Corporate International

Architect:  Stegner-Hendrickson/McNutt of Brainerd and Ericksen/Ellison Associates of Saint Paul

Contractor:  Adolfson & Peterson Inc.

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a two story concrete and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Chaska. The building forms the central and northern sections of the courthouse complex. The flat surface of the two-story portion on the west is relieved by a low curve like a waning moon jutting from the roof. The north one-story section joins the other section with a one-story glass entrance concourse. The brownish-red colored colored brick of the exterior is framed with a band of light face stone, all on reinforced concrete. Narrow vertical windows reaching floor to ceiling are spaced at regular intervals.

 

History:  The county was created in 1855 and Chaska was selected as the county seat in 1856. The first courthouse was built in 1857 and completed in 1872. The building was used until 1966. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1963 to 1966 at a cost of $1,500,000. The County Justice Center was constructed in 1993 to 1994.

 

 

648lm07

County Justice Center – Chaska

 

 

334m19

 

 

335m19

 

 

336m19

 

 

339m19

 

 

340m19

 

 

341m19

 

 

342m19

 

 

345m19

 

 

346m19

 

 

347m19

 

 

349m19

County Courthouse – Chaska

 

 

647lm07

 

 

348m19

 

 

350m19

 

 

351m19

Photos taken 2007 and 2019