Dakota County

US States / M / Minnesota / Dakota County
Dakota

Dakota County is named for the Dakota Native American tribe.

 

Created:  October 27, 1849

County Seat:

Hastings  1870 – present

 

County Courthouse – Hastings

 

Location:   1560 Highway 55 / Pleasant Drive

Built:  1973 – 1974

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Ellerbe Architects ( now Ellerbe Becket )

Contractor:  Sheehy Construction Company

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a three story mulberry-toned jumbo brick, concrete and glass structure. The building has a large concrete central entrance with recessed doorway on the first story. The building has a three level atrium and sky lit lobby. Four large chrome plated ducts rise from the basement through the open lobby to the third story. The building is the Dakota County Judicial Center. In 1987, a Courts Addition was started and completed in 1988. The architect was Wold Architects and the contractor was M A Mortenson Company ( construction manager ).

 

County Administration Center - Hastings 

 

dakota-a

 

Location:   1560 Highway 55 / Pleasant Drive

Built:  19789– 1990

Style:  Modern

Architect:  BWBR Architects

Contractor:  M A Mortenson Company ( construction manager )

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a three buff and reddish colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The building has a high arched entrance and lower arches along the first story. An addition was added in 2003 and completed in 2004. The architect was Wold Architect and Engineers and the contractor was Westra Construction.

 

Old County Courthouse – Hastings

 

dakota-o

 

Location:  101 4th Street East / Vermillion Street

Built:  1869 – 1871

Style:  Italianate Villa Romanesque

Architect:  A M Radcliffe of Saint Paul

Contractor:  P Donivan

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds. The square shaped building has four symmetrical facades with a projecting square tower with red colored roof on each corner. The central entrance has a one story portico supported by paired fluted Corinthian columns and with balustrade on the second story. The building is constructed with a white colored brush hammered limestone for the foundation, window hoods and quoins. There are segmental arches over windows, bracketed and dentillated cornices. In 1912, the original cupola was replaced with a larger domed circular cupola in the Renaissance Revival style. The architect was Augustus Gauger of Saint Paul . The two story buff colored brick addition was constructed in 1955. The architect was Ellerbe & Company. The building is the old Court House and served until 1974 and now serves as the City Hall..

 

Note:  The cost of construction of first courthouse in 1869 was $95,000.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Old Dakota County Courthouse

 

Courthouses: 

N – Hennepin County, Ramsey County and Washington County

E – Pierce County, Wisconsin and Goodhue County

S – Goodhue County and Rice County

W – Rice County and Scott County

 

 

 

1904mc08

 

 

1905mc08

 

 

1906mc08

 

 

1907mc08

 

 

1908mc08

 

 

1909mc08

 

 

1911mc08

 

 

1912mc08

 

 

1914mc08

 

 

1915mc08

 

 

1917mc08

Photos taken 2008