Charlevoix County is named for Pierre Francois Xavier de Charlevoix, who was a French Jesuit missionary.
Created: April 2, 1869
Charlevoix 1867 – 1884
East Jordan 1884 – 1885
Boyne City 1885 – 1895
Charlevoix 1895 – present
County Courthouse – Charlevoix
Location: 301 State Street / West Manson Street
Built: 1955 – 1956
Architect: Ralph S Gerganoff of Ypsilanti
Contractor: Lake Water Construction Company
Description: The building faces east and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The north section is two stories with six concrete pillars supporting the concrete overhang. The windows are vertical. The south section is one story. The roof line is flat.
Note: The previous courthouse was constructed for use as the City Hall in 1885 and was accepted by the County as the courthouse in 1897. The cost of constructiuon was $5,865. The building was razed in 1957 and the present courthouse was constructed around the old jail at a cost of $259,259.40.
See: The architect, Ralph S Gerganoff of Ypsilanti, designed courthouses in Alcona County, Allegan County, Arenac County and Washlenaw County, and with Stephen T Gerganoff of Ypsilanti in Huron County.
See: Michigan’s County Courthouses by John Fedynsky
W – Lake Michigan
Photos taken 2008