Washtenaw County is named for the Native American word “wash-ten-ong” meaning “at or on the river”.
Created: September 10, 1822
Ann Arbor 1826 – present
County Courthouse – Ann Arbor
Location: 101 East Huron Street / North Main Street
Built: 1954 – 1955
Architect: Ralph S Gerganoff of Ypsilanti
Contractor: A W Kutsche & Company
Description: The building faces south and is a three story wjite colored stone, glass and concrete structure. The building is “L” shaped. with a southj and west wing. The southwest section has a central entrance with glass panels rising to the flat roof line. The southeast section has glass walls. The roof line is flat.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by G W Bunting of Indianapolis, Indiana and constructed by McCormick & Sweeny of Columbus, Indiana in 1877 to 1878. The cost of construction was $83,000. The present courthopuise was constructed around the old courthouse which was later demolished.
See: The architect, Ralph S Gerganoff of Ypsilanti, designed courthouses in Alcona County, Allegan County, Arenac County and Charlevoix County, and with Stephen T Gerganoff of Ypsilanti in Huron County.
See: Michigan’s County Courthouses by John Fedynsky
Other Branch Courthouses
E – Wayne County
W – Ingham County
Photos taken 2008