Antrim County is named for County Antrim in Northern Ireland.
Created: February 7, 1857
Elk Rapids 1863 – 1879
Bellaire 1879 – present
Old County Courthouse – Bellaire
Location: 205 Cayuga Street / Court Street
Built: 1904 – 1905
Style: Late Victorian / Romanesque Revival
Architect: Jens C Peterson
Contractor: Waterman & Price
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and stone structure. The south entrance is framed with stone and there is a peak at the third story. The east and west wings project from the main building. In the center of the building is a high square red colored brick tower with clock and steep roof. Course stone forms the foundation. The building was vacant as the court was located in the new courthouse along the west side. In 1990 to 1992, the building was restored and is now used as a courthouse.
Note: The cost of construction of the courthouse was $30,000.
County Courthouse – Bellaire
Location: 203 Cayuga Street / Court Street
Built: 1977 – 1978
Architect: Kingscott & Associates
Contractor: Omega Construction Company Inc. of Grandville
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored concrete structure. The roof line is flat. The building houses the county administration and court offices. The building is named as the Antrim County Building. The courthouse is located along the east side.
Note: The cost of construction was $1,400,000.
See: Michigan’s County Courthouses by John Fedynsky
E – Otsego County
W – Leelanau County
Photos taken 2008