Cheboygan County is named for the Cheboygan River, which is named after the Ojibwe word “zhaabonigan” meaning “sewing needle” or from “chabwegan” meaning “a place of ore”.
Created: April 1, 1840
Duncan City 1853 – 1869
Inverness Township 1869 – 1898
Cheboygan 1898 – present
County Courthouse – Cheboygan
Location: 870 South Main Street / Franklin Street
Built: 1967 – 1969
Architect: Stephen T Gerganoff of Ypsilanti
Contractor: Davidson & Son Builders Inc.
Description: The building faces east and is a two story buff colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The east front section has the entrance at the southeast corner with an overhang supported by concrete pillars. The entrance is recessed. Glass windows run across the first story front with stone facing on the second story at the windows. The roof line is flat.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Rush Bowman Rush and constructed in 1889 t0 1900 for a cost of $35,000.
See: Michigan’s County Courthouses by John Fedynsky
Old County Courthouse – Cheboygan
Location: 229 Court Street / South Huron Street
Architect: James F Watson
Contractor: James F Watson
Description: The building faces north and is a white colored wood structure. The building has a central entrance on the north front. At the peak of the roof on the north side is a square white colored wood cupola. The building is the second courthouse constructed in the County. Across the street is the old red colored brick Jail which houses a museum.
Note: The cost of construction of the courthouse was $3000. In 1983, the building was extensively renovated.
N – Mackinac County
Photos taken 2008