Allegan County is named for the Indian tribe of “Allegawi” or “Allegans”.
Created: March 2, 1831
Allegan 1835 – present
County Courthouse – Allegan
Location: 113 Chestnut Street / Hubbard Street
Built: 1960 – 1961
Architect: Ralph S Gerganoff of Ypsilanti
Contractor: Pearson Construction Company Inc.
Description: The building faces southeast and is a two story buff colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The building is “L” shaped with a south and east wing. There is a recessed entrance on the southeast corner supported by a brick pillar and glass walls above. The east side of the south section is glass. The building is named as the Ralph B Sytsma Memorial Center. An addition was constructed in 1994.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Albert French and constructed by J M Crocker in 1889. In 1951, the dome was removed from the building and the building was demolished in 1961 when the present courthouse was completed.
See: The architect, Ralph S Gerganoff of Ypsilanti, designed courthouses in Alcona County, Arenac County, Charlevoix County and Washlenaw County, and with Stephen T Gerganoff of Ypsilanti in Huron County.
See: Michigan’s County Courthouses by John Fedynsky
E – Barry County
W – Lake Michigan
Photos taken 2008