Mackinac County is named for the French term “Michillimackinac” which refers to the straits area as well as the French settlement at the tip of the lower peninsula and the Indian names “michinimackinog” means “place of Giant Fairies” or “Giant Turtles place”.
Created: October 26 1818
Mackinac Island 1838 – 1882
St. Ignace 1882 – present
County Courthouse – St. Ignace
Location: 100 South Marley Street / Truckey Street
Built: 1935 – 1936
Style: Art Deco
Architect: C Harold Thompson
Contractor: Richard A Wilbur.
Description: The building faces east and is a three story red-brown colored brick and stone rectangular structure. The building has stone framing around the entrance and surrounding windows. Smaller stone vertical bands frame the other windows. The courtroom on the third story is Art Deco style. The building was constructed as a Works Progress Administration project. On the south side of the courthouse is the one story brick County Administration Building constructed in 1997 to 1998.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1839 on Mackinaw Island. The building now serves as the City Hall. The courthouse designed by Julius Hess and constructed in St. Ignace in 1882 at cost of $25,000, was demolished. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $75,000.
See: Michigan’s County Courthouses by John Fedynsky
E – Chippewa County
Photos taken 2008