Huron County is named for Lake Huron which borders the north part of the county, and from the French word “inelles hures” meaning “what heads” referring to the way the Native Americans dressed their hair.
Created: April 1, 1840
Harbor Beach ( Sand Beach ) 1859 – 1865
Port Austin 1865 – 1873
Bad Axe 1873 – present
County Courthouse – Bad Axe
Location: 250 East Huron Street / South Heisterman Street
Built: 1966 – 1967
Architect: Ralph S Gerganoff and Stephen T Gerganoff of Ypsilanti
Contractor: Grange Brothers, Inc.
Description: The building faces south and is a two story buff colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The building is “L” shaped. The entrance at the northwest corner has vertical concrete pillars with a glass panel wall behind with entrance on the first story. The windows are vertical with panels between. A wide concrete band follows the flat roof line.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Fred W Hollister and was constructed in 1875. The building survived a fire on September 5, 1881 which swept through the county. The building was demolished in 1965 and replaced by the present courthouse at a cost of $1,360,000.
See: The architect, Ralph S Gerganoff of Ypsilanti, designed courthouses in Alcona County, Allegan County, Arenac County, Charlevoix County and Washlenaw County. Stephen T Gerganoff designed courthouses in Cheboygan County, Mecosta County and Ogemaw County.
See: Michigan’s County Courthouses by John Fedynsky
N – Lake Huron
E – Lake Huron and Ontario, Ontario
Photos taken 2008