Emmet County is named for Robert Emmet, who was an Irish patriot who was hanged as a traitor to the British government at the age of 23 years.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Mackinac County
E – Cheboygan County
W – Charlevoix County and Lake Michigan
Created: April 1, 1840
Mackinaw City 1853 – 1857
Harbor Springs 1857 – 1858
Mackinaw City 1858 – 1868
Charlevoix 1868 – 1869
Harbor Springs 1869 – 1902
Petoskey 1902 – present
County Courthouse – Petoskey
Location: 200 Division Street / Lake Street
Built: 1964 – 1966
Architect: Warren Holmes of Lansing
Contractor: Omega Construction Company Inc. of Grandville
Description: The building faces east and is a two story brown colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The building descends down the hill on the west side. The northeast section is two stories with narrow vertical windows. The south section is one story with the main entrance at the north end. The southwest section runs down the hill and has curved glass windows. The roof line is flat. The building was first used by the county and city and then transferred to the county. The building was renovated in 1990. In 2005, a new wing was added to provide courtrooms and jail.
Note: The previous courthouse was constructed in 1901 to 1902 at a cost of $40,000. The building was razed in 1968 and the clock was placed in a steel tower at the harbor in 1996.
See: Michigan’s County Courthouses by John Fedynsky
County Courthouse - Petoskey
Photos taken 2008