Arenac County is named for “arena” referring to the sand in the Coliseum to provide a better footing for gladiators, and “ac” a Native American Indian word for “place of”, and named by Henry Schoolcraft as “a sandy place for good footing”.
Created: April 21, 1883
Omer 1883 – 1892
Standish 1892 – present
County Courthouse – Standish
Location: 120 North Grove Street / East Cedar Street
Built: 1963 – 1964
Architect: Ralph S Gerganoff of Ypsilanti
Contractor: Davidson & Son Builders Inc.
Description: The building faces west and is a two story buff colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The southwest corner is a buff colored brick tower and the west front is faced with red-pink colored panels between the first and second story windows. The entrance is towards the south of the west front and has an overhang with four sandstone faced pillars and recessed glass entrance.. The roof line is flat. The building was renovated in 1985.
See: The architect, Ralph S Gerganoff of Ypsilanti, designed courthouses in Alcona County, Allegan County, Charlevoix County and Washlenaw County, and with Stephen T Gerganoff of Ypsilanti in Huron County.
Note: The previous courthouse was built in Standish in 1892.
See: Michigan’s County Courthouses by John Fedynsky
Old County Courthouse – Omer
Location: SW – Huron Road / South George Street
Built: 1889 – 1890
Architect: Pratt & Koeppe of Bay City
Contractor: Angus McDonald
Description: The building faces north and is a two story white colored wood structure. The building has a porch on the first story with a large arched window above on the second story. At the north end of the sloped roof is a square white wood cupola with steep roof.
Note: the cost of construction of the courthouse was $2970.75.
E – Lake Huron and Ontario, Canada
S – Bay County
W – Gladwin County
Photos taken 2008