Alcona County

US States / M / Michigan / Alcona County
Alcona

Alcona County is named for the Native American word meaning “a fine or excellent plain”.

 

Created:  April 1, 1840

County Seat:

Harrisville  1868 – present

 

County Courthouse – Harrisville

 

Location:  214 West Main Street / North 6th Street

Built:  1955 – 1956

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Ralph S Gerganoff of Ypsilanti

Contractor:  The Davidson-Rose Company

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a one story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building has a flat roof. The east side of the building is higher and with fewer windows. The Administration Building is on the east side.

 

Note:  The previous courthouse was designed by H G Rothwell and constructed by Joseph Van Buskirk in 1869 to 1870. The two story brick building burned on Friday, November 13, 1953.

 

See:  The architect,  Ralph S Gerganoff of Ypsilanti, designed courthouses  in Allegan County, Arenac County, Charlevoix County and Washlenaw County, and with Stephen T Gerganoff of Ypsilanti in Huron County.

 

See:  Michigan’s County Courthouses by John Fedynsky

 

County Administration – Harrisville

 

0366mc08

 

Location:  105 North 5th Street / West Main Street

Built:  1955 – 1956

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Ralph S Gerganoff of Ypsilanti

Contractor:  The Davidson-Rose Company

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a one story buff brick and concrete structure. The building has a flat roof. The entrance has an over hang supported by concrete supports. The courthouse is on the west side.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Alpena County

E – Lake Huron and Ontario, Canada

S – Iosco County

W – Oscoda County

 

 

 

0367mc08

 

 

0368mc08

 

 

0369mc08

 

0370mc08

Photos taken 2008