Clay County is named for Henry Clay, who was from Kentucky and who was a United States Representative, a United States Senator and Secretary of State.
Created: February 20, 1857
Clay Center 1866 – present
County Courthouse – Clay Center
Location: 715 5th Street / Court Street
Built: 1900 – 1901
Architect: J C Holland and Company of Topeka
Contractor: J C Ziegler, H H Ziegler & J T Dalton of Junction City
Description: The building faces south and is a three story Manhattan tough hewn stone structure. The south front of the rectangular building has a large stone arch on the first story with recessed entrance. Above the entrance, the wall rises to a peak at the roof line. On the center of the roof rises a high square stone 65 foot clock tower with parapets and steep roof.
Note: The cost of construction of the courthouse was $33,770. A H Andrews Company of Chicago, Illinois was awarded the contract for furnishing the offices for $3,448.
See: The architect, J C Holland and Company of Topeka, designed courthouses in Geary County and Mitchell County; and in Nebraska in Jefferson County. Holland and Son designed courthouses in Ness County and Rice County. With Frank C Squires, he designed courthouses in Riley County and Thomas County. With Charles W Squires, he designed the courthouses in Marion County and Osborne County.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Clay County Courthouse
S – Dickinson County
Photos taken 2009