Marion County is named for Francis Marion, who was a general in the American Revolutionary War and who lived from 1732 to 1795.
Created: August 25, 1855
Marion 1860 – present
County Courthouse – Marion
Location: 200 South 3rd Street / Water Street
Built: 1905 – 1907
Style: Richardsonian Romanesque
Architect: J C Holland and Company of Topeka and Charles W Squires
Contractor: J B Betts Jr. of Topeka
Description: The building faces west and is a two story buff colored local limestone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The west entrance on the first story projects slightly and has a large Syrian arch with a flight of nine steps and a recessed entrance. The imposts of the arch are highly decorated with a rinceau molding, dentils and sinister grotesques. Above rises a high four story square stone clock tower with three narrow windows and above is a clock with four faces and steep roof. The north and south sections project from the main building and rise to dormers at the roof line. The roof is hipped. On the east side is the one story Marion County Jail.
See: The architect, J C Holland and Company of Topeka, designed courthouses in Clay County, Geary County and Mitchell County; and in Nebraska in Jefferson County. Holland and Son designed courthouses in Ness County and Rice County. With Frank C Squires, he designed courthouses in Thomas County. With Charles W Squires, he designed the courthouse in Osborne County.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Marion County Courthouse
Photos taken 2010 and 2016