Cloud County is named for William F Cloud, who was a colonel of the Second Kansas Cavalry during the American Civil War.
Created: March 27, 1867
Concordia 1867 – present
County Courthouse – Concordia
Location: 811 Washington Street / West 8th Street
Built: 1958 – 1959
Architect: Williamson-Loebsack & Associates of Topeka
Contractor: Rhode Construction Company
Description: The building faces west and is a three story gray limestone, glass and concrete structure. The north section of the building is a two story glass structure with entrance foyer on the west side. On the south side is the higher rectangular section with vertical windows and flat roof line. The building is located on spacious grounds. On the east side of the courthouse is the old County Jail.
Note: The old courthouse which was constructed iin 1889 and was demolished to make room for the present courthouse. The architect was W R Parson & Sons and the contractor was John S Huntley.
N – Republic County
S – Ottawa County
Photos taken 2009