Washington County

US States / H-L / Kansas / Washington County
Washington

Washington County is named for George Washington, who was the first President of the United States from 1789 to 1797.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Jefferson County, Nebraska and Gage County, Nebraska

E – Marshall County

S – Riley County and Clay County

W – Cloud County and Republic County

 

Created:  February 10, 1857                  Map of Kansas highlighting Washington County

County Seat:

Washington  1857 – present

 

County Courthouse – Washington  

 

Location:  214 C Street / East 2nd Street

Built:  1932 – 1934

Style:  Art Deco

Architect:  H G Overend & C F Boucher of Wichita

Contractor:  Blaser-Vollmer Construction Company of Wichita

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a two story limestone and concrete structure. The  rectangular shaped building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of Washington and is constructed of Bedford limestone. The west front has a slightly projecting center section with a long vertical window on either side of the central entrance. On the north and south sides, the center section is recessed. The stone walls are decorated with stylized geometric motifs done in stone and metal. The roof line is flat.

 

See:  The architect, Overend & Boucher of Wichita, designed courthouses in Hamilton County and Kearny County.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Washington County Courthouse

 

History:  The first courthouse was a two story log structure built by E Woolbert in Washington in 1860. The building was purchased as the first courthouse in 1868 and burned in 1869. The second courthouse was built by the county in 1871 and burned on December 15, 1872. The third courthouse was a two story wood structure built in 1873 at a cost of $2000. The fourth courthouse was designed by Schage & Nichols and constructed in 1886 to 1887. The courthouse was remodeled in 1901 and damaged by a tornado in 1932.. The fifth and present courthouse was constructed in 1932 to 1934 at a cost of $102,000 on the site of the fourth courthouse.

 

 

2446m09

County Courthouse – Washington

 

 

2447m09

 

 

0817cs10

 

 

x_6

 

 

0822cs10

 

 

0823cs10

 

 

2454m09

 

 

2450m09

 

2453m09

Picture third County Courthouse 1878

 

 

2452m09

Picture fourth County Courthouse 1886

 

 

2451m09

Picture fourth courthouse remodeled 1901

Photos taken 2009 and 2010