Geary County is named for John W Geary, who was a Governor of the State of Kansas.
Created: August 30, 1855
Junction City 1855 – present
County Courthouse – Junction City
Location: 139 East 8th Street / North Washington Street
Built: 1899 – 1900
Style: Richardsonian Romanesque
Architect: J C Holland and Company of Topeka
Contractor: J C Ziegler, H H Ziegler & J T Dalton of Junction City
Description: The building faces south and is a three story yellow colored limestone structure. The magnesium limestone was quartered in the nearby bluffs. The south front has a projecting porch on the first story with large arch and recessed entrance. Above the entrance rises a six story square stone tower. On either side of the front are projecting sections rising to peaks above the roof line. The roof is pitched. The building was renovated in 1999. The architect was Bruce McMillan and the contractor was Sunflower Builders.
Note: The cost of construction of the courthouse was $35,0000.
See: The architect, J C Holland and Company of Topeka, designed courthouses in Clay County and Mitchell County; and in Nebraska in Jefferson County. Holland and Son designed courthouses in Ness County and Rice County. With Frank C Squires, he designed courthouses in Riley County and Thomas County. With Charles W Squires, he designed the courthouses in Marion County and Osborne County.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Junction City Downtown Historic District
County Administration – Junction City
Location: 200 East 8th Street / North Franklin Street
Description: The building faces north and is a one story red colored brick and concrete structure. The north fron has an arched entrance at the center. The roof is hipped.
N – Riley County
E – Wabaunsee County
S – Morris County
Photos taken 2010