Mitchell County is named for William D Mitch, who was a Captain of the Second Kentucky Cavalry and who was kiilled March 10, 1865 at Monroe’s Cross Road in North Carolina.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Jewell County
S – Lincoln County
W – Osborne County
Created: February 26, 1867
Beloit 1867 – present
County Courthouse – Beloit
Location: 111 South Hersey Avenue / East Main Street
Built: 1901 – 1902
Style: Richardsonian Romanesque
Architect: J C Holland and Company of Topeka
Contractor: Cuthbert & Sargent of Topeka
Description: The building faces west and is a three story dark yellow colored post rock limestone and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of Beloit. The building is trimmed with Warrensburg limestone and rests on a white colored Cottonwood Falls limestone foundation. The west front has an arched portico on the first story with Syrian archway. Behind the portico rises a high square stone tower with for-faced clock installed in 1904 and steep roof. On the north and south sides there are projecting sections which rise to peaked dormers at the roof line. In the interior are 25 rooms on three floors with original stone floor tiles, decorative metal ceilings and embossed wall coverings. The original ornate fireplaces are in several offices. The building houses the County District Court of the 12th Judicial District. During construction, A B Brookfield was the superintendent.
Note: The courthouse is patterned after the courthouse in Geary County. The plumbing and heating was awarded to Western Plumbing Company of St. Joseph, Missouri. A M Neuman of Beloit was awarded the interior painting contract, M S Tidrick of Beloit was awarded the contract for plastering, A B Brookfield was awarded the excavation work, and Mr. Vansant of Topeka was awarded the carpentry work.
See: The architect, J C Holland and Company of Topeka, designed courthouses in Clay County and Geary County; and in Nebraska in Jefferson County. Holland and Son designed courthouses in Ness County and Rice County. With Frank C Squires, he designed courthouses in Riley County and Thomas County. With Charles W Squires, he designed the courthouses in Marion County and Osborne County.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Mitchell County Courthouse
History: The county was created in 1867 and Beloit was selected as the county seat in 1870 when the county was organized. The first courthouse was built by T F Mersey of the Beloit Town Company in Beloit in 1871. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1901 to 1902 at a cost of $38,310.
County Courthouse – Beloit
Old Post Rock House – Beloit
Photos taken 2010