Franklin County

US States / H-L / Indiana / Franklin County
Franklin

Franklin County is named for Benjamin Franklin, who was a signer of the Declaration of Independence and who lived from 1706 to 1790.

 

Created:  November 27, 1810

County Seat: 

Brookville  1811 – present

 

County Courthouse – Brookville  

 

Location:  459 Main Street / East 5th Street

Built:  1853 – 1855

Style:  Italianate Palazzo

Architect:  Edwin May

Contractor:  Edwin May

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a two story brown colored brick structure. The building was remodeled in 1878. In 1910, the building was remodeled as a Neo-Classical style structure and completed in 1912. There is a large portico on the west front supported by two large columns. The base of the building is stone with stone trim surrounding the windows. On the center of the roof is a square brick clock tower with small cupola at the top. The architect was Elmer E Dunlap and Marshall E Van Arman and the contractor was Isaac W Millikin. The building was renovated in 1973. The architect was Howard J Barth & Associates and the contractor was V H Juerling & Sons, Inc.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Fayette County and Union County

E – Butler County, Ohio 

S – Dearborn County and Ripley County

W – Decatur County and Rush County

 

 

 

0867i-i08

 

 

0869i-i08

 

 

0872i-i08

 

 

0873i-i08

 

 

0874i-i08

 

 

0870i-i08

Photos taken 2008