Carroll County is named for Charles Carroll, who was a signer of the Declaration of Independence, and who died in 1832.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
S – Clinton County
Created: January 7, 1826
Delphi 1828 – present
County Courthouse – Delphi
Location: 101 West Main Street / South Washington Street
Built: 1916 – 1917
Style: Renaissance Revival
Architect: Elmer E Dunlap of Indianapolis
Contractor: A E Kemmer
Description: The building faces northwest and is a three story gray colored limestone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Delphi. The first story has horizontal stone and arched windows. Five large columns rise from the second story to the top of the third story with recessed windows between. A wide cornice runs below the roof line and in the center of each side of the roof is a clock. The roof line is flat. The interior has a rotunda with stained glass skylight. mThe third story houses the courtrooms and the law library on the north side. On the east side of the building is the Carroll County Superior Court, on the south side is the Superior Court Office, and on the west side is the Carroll County Circuit Courtroom which the oldest courtroom in the building. The Circuit Courtroom is very large with three panels of stained glass skylighting in the center of the ceiling. The ceiling is separated into coffered panels by cross beams, which have the original chandeliers hanging from the intersecting beams. The walls of the courtroom complete the classical imagery with pilasters supporting a simple entablature. Pilasters are spaced to mark the locations of ceiling beams. On the south side of the room is one large window, while the west side has four large windows, and the north side has one window. The main courtroom entrance is located on the east side of the room, with a large oak door frame and transom window, topped with a clock.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Carroll County Courthouse
History: The county was created in 1826 and Delphi was selected as the county seat in 1828. The court met at the home of Daniel Previous, then at a school in 1829 and the Clerk’s Office on the Square from 1830 to 1839. The first courthouse was built by Theophilus Hardman May and John Dollason in 1831 to 1838 at a cost of $3,500. The second courthouse was designed by Martin J Bird and constructed by James Woods and James Rodifer in 1859 at a cost of $170,000. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1916 to 1917 at a cost of $250,000.
County Cpurthouse – Delphi
Photos taken 2008