Pike County is named for Zebulon M. Pike, who was the discoverer of Pikes Peak, and who lived from 1779 to 1813.
Created: December 21, 1816
Petersburg 1817 – present
County Courthouse – Petersburg
Location: 801 East Main Street / South 9th Street
Built: 1920 – 1922
Architect: Elmer E Dunlap of Indianapolis
Contractor: Jasper N Good of Columbus
Description: The building faces north and is a three story square yellow colored brick and concrete structure. The first story is horizontal lines of yellow colored brick with a concrete band running horizontally. A wide cornice runs below the roof line of the flat roof.
Note: The previous courthouse was constructed by Robert Hawthorne and William Hawthorne in 1868.
E – Dubois County
S – Warrick County
W – Gibson County
Photos taken 2008