Wayne County is named for Anthony Wayne, who was a General in the American Revolutionary War, and who lived from 1745 to 1796.
Created: November 27, 1810
Salisbury 1811 – 1817
Centerville 1817 – 1873
Richmond 1873 – present
County Courthouse – Richmond
Location: 301 East Main Street / South 4th Street
Built: 1890 – 1893
Style: Richardsonian Romanesque
Architect: James W McLaughlin of Cincinnati, Ohio
Contractor: Aaron G Campfield & Company of Richmond
Description: The building faces east and is a three story gray colored stone structure. The east center has three arches on the first story and arched arches on the second story. Above are narrow vertical windows on the third story with a large arch bisected by small windows and reaching a peak at the roof. On the northeast corner is a three story octagonal tower with step black colored roof.
County Administration – Richmond
Location: 401 East Main Street / South 4th Street
Built: 1976 – 1978
Architect: R W Clinton and Associates
Contractor: Oberle Associates and Wagner-Martin Company
Description: The building faces west and is a two story concrete and glass structure. The first story of the building is below ground level. The west side has sloped glass panels.
North – Randolph County
Photos taken 2005 and 2008