Union County is named for the union of parts of Fayette, Franklin and Wayne counties.
Created: January 5, 1821
Liberty 1823 – present
County Courthouse – Liberty
Location: 26 West Union Street / South Market Street
Built: 1890 – 1891
Style: Richardsonian Romanesque
Architect: George W Bunting of Indianapolis
Contractor: William McKay of Parke County
Description: The building faces north and is a two story gray colored stone structure. The front section has a high square stone clock tower with steep roof. The first story entrance has a stone arch. On either side of the tower are sections which rise to peaks above the roof line. On the east and west sides are rounded towers. The building was renovated in 2006. The architect was Cornerstone Design of Otterhein and the contractor was Oberle & Associates of Richmond.
N – Wayne County
S – Franklin County
W – Fayette County
Photos taken 2008