Calumet County is named for the French language word for a Menominee peace pipe.
Created: December 7, 1836
Stockbridge 1849 – 1856
Chilton 1856 – present
County Courthouse – Chilton
Location: 206 Court Street / South State Street
Built: 1911 – 1912
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: B Mehner of Rauber and Mehner
Contractor: Majestic Construction
Description: The building faces south and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. There is a low dome on the center of the roof and a concrete trimmed parapet. The first story is white colored stone and the upper stories are red colored brick. On the center of the roof is a wide dome. An addition was constructed on the north side from 1976 to 1977. The architect was The Stubenrauch Associates, Inc. of Sheboygan and the contractor was Hamann Construction Company of Manitowoc. A further addition was constructed from 1995 to 1998. The architect was The Stubenrauch Associates, Inc. of Sheboygan and the contractor was C G Schmidt, Inc.
E – Manitowoc County
W – Winnebago County
Photos taken 2007 and 2011