Brown County is named for Major General Jacob Brown, who was the commanding general of the United States Army from 1815 to 1828.
Created: October 26, 1818
Menominee (Michigan) 1818 – 1837
Depere 1837 – 1854
Green Bay 1854 – present
County Courthouse – Green Bay
Location: 100 South Jefferson Avenue / East Walnut Street
Built: 1911 – 1912
Style: Beaux Arts
Architect: Charles E Bell of Minneapolis, Minnesota
Contractor: General Construction Company of Milwaukee
Description: The building faces east and is a three story buff colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city and is constructed of Marquette raindrop stone with Bedford limestone superstructure and a gray colored granite base. There are four entrances surmounted by two story Ionic columns. The main entrance faces east and projects farther and has slightly taller pediment. On the center of the roof is the copper covered dome and clock tower containing the original Seth Thomas clock. During construction, the superintendent was J A Murphy. The building was restored from 1988 to 1993 and an addition was constructed on the west side. The architect was CPR & Associates od DePere and the contractor was P G Miron.
See: The architect Charles E Bell of Minneapolis, Minnesota designed many courthouses.
Note: The previous courthouse was constructed by Kemnitz Brothers in 1866.
N – Oconto County
E – Kewaunee County
Photos taken 2007 and 2011