Waushara County

US States / V-Z / Wisconsin / Waushara County
Waushara

Waushara County is named for a Native American word meaning “good earth”, or “big fox”.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Portage County and Waupaca County

E – Winnebago County

S – Green Lake County and Marquette County

W – Adams County

 

Created:  February 15, 1851                  Map of Wisconsin highlighting Waushara County

County Seat: 

Sacramento  1852 – 1854

Wautoma      1854 – present

 

County Courthouse – Wautoma

 

Location:  209 South St. Marie Street / West Elm Street

Built:  1928 – 1929

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  E A Stubenrauch of Sheboygan

Contractor:  J P Cullen & Son.of Janesville

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Wautoma. The colored brick complements the smooth texture and light color of the Bedford limestone. The west front has four large ionic columns rising to wide cornice. The entrance door is in the center of the Greek temple like portico. Within the portico, the second story windows are larger than the ground story windows. On the sides are small porticos with columns. There is a stone balustrade around the roof line. In the interior, terrazzo floors and plaster walls simulate more expensive materials. The interior plan is straightforward and functional, with the best detail reserved for the County Circuit Court courtroom, now used as the Board of Supervisors Meeting Room, located on the second story, where pedimented door frames, oak furnishings, and tall round-headed windows provide a dignified formality. On the east side is a two story rectangular shaped buff colored brick and concrete addition constructed in 1978. The roof line is flat. There are two County Circuit Court courtrooms located on the on the north and east sides of the second story of the addition. The building houses the County Circuit Court of the 4th Judicial District.  On the southwest side is the Old County Sheriff’s Residence and Jail designed by C H Williams and built in 1908.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Waushara County Courthouse

 

See:  The 4th Judicial District includes Calumet County, Fond du Lac CountyGreen Lake CountyManitowoc County, Marquette CountySheboygan County and Winnebago County. 

 

History:  The county was created in 1851 and Sacramento was selected as the county seat in 1852. In 1854 the county seat was moved to Wautoma. The first courthouse was built in 1855. The courthouse burned in 1928. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1928 to 1929 at a cost of $115,000.

 

 

1159w22

County Courthouse – Wautoma

 

 

0150k07

 

 

1163w22

 

 

1164w22

 

 

0151k07

 

 

1167w22

County Circuit Court courtroom

 

 

1168w22

 

 

1169w22

 

 

1171w22

 

 

1172w22

 

 

1173w22

 

 

1174w22

County Circuit Court courtroom

 

 

1175w22

 

 

1176w22

 

 

1177w22

 

 

1181w22

Board of Supervisors Meeting Room ( former courtroom )

 

 

1178w22

 

 

1180w22

 

 

1183w22

 

 

1185w22

 

 

1187w22

Old Sheriff Residence – Wautoma

 

 

1188w22

 

 

1186w22

Photos taken 2007 and 2022