Sheboygan County is named for a Native American name meaning “great noise underground”.
Created: December 7, 1836
Sheboygan 1836 – present
County Courthouse – Sheboygan
Location: 615 North 6th Street / Center Avenue
Built: 1933 – 1934
Architect: W C Weeks, Inc. and K M Vitzthum & Company, Inc.
Contractor: Ralph Sollitt & Sons Construction Company
Description: The building faces west and is a six story limestone, granite and aluminum structure. The building has a projected rectangular base for the first and second stories with a small rectangular area for the next three stories and a small rectangular area for remaining upper stories. There are three entrance doors on the west side. The roof line is flat.
E – Lake Michigan
Photos taken 2007