Outagamie County is named for the Outagamie Native American people.
Created: February 17, 1851
Grand Chute 1851 – 1852
Appleton 1852 – present
County Courthouse – Appleton
Location: 310 South Walnut Street / West 6th Street
Built: 1940 – 1941
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Raymond N Le Vee
Contractor: Hoffman Construction Company
Description: The building faces west and is a four story buff colored limestone clad structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The buff limestone was quarried in Bloomington, Indiana. The windows are vertical and narrow. The west center section projects from the main building and has four vertical dividers. The exterior stone is buff limestone from Bloomington, Indiana. The roof line is flat. The interior has golden-vein polished marble from Arkansas in the main lobby and the corriddors of the second and third stories. The designer of the building interior was Maurey Lee Allen. The murals were done by Francis Scott Bradford. In 2012, the building is being renovated, and the contractor is Hurckman Mechanical Industries Inc. of Green Bay.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by H C Koch & Company and constructed by Daniel Stephens in 1882.
County Justice Center – Appleton
Location: 320 South Walnut Street / West 6th Street
Built: 1990 – 1992
Architect: Potter Lawson Architects
Contractor: Miron Construction Company
Description: The building faces west and is a seven story concrete and glass structure. The building is located on the north side of the courthouse. The west entrance projects from the main building with two sets of doors. The north and south sections rise above the flat roof line.
E – Brown County
W – Waupaca County
County Justice Center
Photos taken 2007 and 2010